Thursday, July 12, 2018

Six Years.

The indefinite continued progress of existence and events. But six years? Isn't that a definite bloc of time?
My last blog was six years ago and it is defined by the time in which it was written, the Germans have a word for it; "zeitgeist". Time Spirit or the spirit of the time. It is fascinating how this continued march of existence is indefinite, yet certain blocks of it can be defined by the events and through those who existed in that time.
Six years ago I was just a college graduate with my sights set on going big in the world. The leadership in the country was still shaky after terrible attacks a decade earlier. I didn't necessarily make it big, but I did make a series of good choices. The old adage "Only time will tell" is true in this progressive line of events. Many of my choices seemed to be guided by divinity, I'm not saying I'm divine, but some of the choices were made and the results were surprising. My choice to put myself on the dating website led me to meeting my wife. My choice to move to a city just to effect change in my life, put me within walking distance of the cancer center that would, in time, save my life. Even my choice of schooling led me to meeting, working for and be helped by my veteran's representative and she is the one who helped my with my disabilities.
The choices I made were guided by the zeitgeist, spirit of the time. My mother died and I went to college. I found the most awesome veteran's representative while attending college. My degree led me to a job in the city where I met my wife. I wanted a better city for my wife, so we moved to the city where I eventually needed to go anyway after the diagnosis of cancer.
Six years of events that have now defined a major period, or era, of my story. Six years that have led me to where I am today, far from where I was a mere, well, six years ago.

With this new era comes all of the good that happened in the last six years. To move forward I left all the bad in the last era. That's right, I left all the bad stuffed into the past and brought with me all the good things to continue this indefinite continued progress of events. Some of the things that I had to leave behind actually surprised me and, yet, they will stay in the past. Some of the things that I am bringing with me into the new era are simply amazing; my wife, our new house, my second year of remission.
Some will tell you that you should repair the bad things in your past before moving on. To this I say, rubbish, literally, trash it. and leave it behind. There's no point in holding on to broken things from your past in hopes of fixing them one day. Remember, this is a continuous progression, defined by the things you do in those moments. Don't define your past with failed repairs. Accept the bad and move on, carrying the good with you.
I'm back on Blogger.com

No comments:

Post a Comment