Tuesday, July 17, 2018

The Road

Finding memories in the songs we hear is pretty powerful. I'm sitting here listening to an eighties rock album "Adrenalize" and it reminds me of high school. Then it leads me to the road I've traveled since then.

I know what you're thinking; "Oh no, another memory lane flashback", but it's not. It's just in that music from the past inspired me today. Well, it's not completely the music. I'm now working out with a bicycle to lose weight and get back into shape. I want to live longer and this is what I have to do. The memories brought on by music and that old road of life, inspire me.

Def Leppard is road trip music and I was just on the road today to find a cycling route for my workout. I used to run to get into shape, but I have too many doctors, orthopedic surgeons, podiatrists, and such telling me to never run or even walk again to burn calories. I'm not exaggerating, my podiatrist even went so far as to say he wishes he could tell everyone that running and jogging is the worst thing you can do for your feet, knees and back.

 On the road this morning, it felt good. I have a long journey ahead of me, but it feels good. It gets me thinking about where I want to go and that destination is, of course, my goal. When I listen to music that takes me back to the eighties, I ask myself if where I am currently was my goal back then. I have answer that question with"No".

That's the thing about our lives. We love music, we set goals, we live, but we never really know where we'll end up. I'm happy where I've ended up even though it's been one rough road. I think we hit an age where we eventually see the road smooth out, but that rough old road is always there and we just need to be reminded of that road.

My goal won't fulfill itself identically as I have envisioned, but I will achieve results that will make me happy. When I was in basic training for the Navy, our company commander had a great philosophy about goals. I'll be paraphrasing, but he said that goals don't mean anything, they are just plans and aren't real so make them unrealistic. Set your goals outrageously high. Set them so high that no one can even think they are achievable. That way, as you go down the road towards your goal, where ever your stopping point may be, it will be great.

No comments:

Post a Comment